Monday, February 13, 2012

There Here

Everyone made it safe and sound. I was up early so I could get ready to pick everyone up. First the caterer arrived with the sack lunches and I saw him coming from my window so I went down to meet him. I opened the porton...big gate... and stepped out into the calle and the porton slammed shut behind me. I had a heart attach right then and there...I did not have my key and it was the one night my property mgr. was out of town. Thank heaven that Janet who lives on the first floor was home and came to my rescue. It was going to be interesting if she wasn't because our compound, like others in third world countries, is surrounded in razor wire. YIKES
The hired bus arrived at the same time so we put it all in the bus and we were off. That is after one stop at the ATM and another at MF offices to pickup two people that needed a ride to the airport.


Brian was the first in then the other arrived in two waves about 30 min. apart. By 2:00 we were at the hotel picking up those who arrived a day or two early.


We had to make, not the usual one pit stop, but two because some of the group, who will remain nameless bought adult refreshments for the road trip. This is going to be a wild bunch...I can see it now.
It rained most of the way until just about when we turned off the Pan America Hwy. As we were going through Solola the sun began to shine beautifully. When we turned that corner where you get your first real view of the lake everyone at once knew why I love it here. It takes your breath away.
We got everyone settled in there hotel rooms and headed to get money from the ATM. Not everyone can do it at once when you have this big of a group so some will get it today. Since we were a bit behind Sharon and Dwight sent 2 pickups to get us off the street because we were due at their place for a welcome dinner. Everyone stood in the back and got their first but not last experience of traveling Guat style.





The Onil stove was fired up when we arrived so everyone who wanted got to try their hand at making tortillas. Not as easy as it looks. We then had a wonderful dinner and 2 of the MF videos of two of the programs the sponsor.
A very tired bunch again jumped in the back of pickups and were taken back to their hotel for hopefully a good nights sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment