Wednesday, October 19, 2011

and the adventure continues


The rains have continued each day with some periods when it lets up but it then returns just when you have a little hope so on tues. since it was a bit clear we decided that we would take a private launcha (boat) over to San Juan. Because the lake has risen so many feet they have to keep building higher docks. So when we arrived they had raised the dock considerably. Men were diving down to retrieve the wood from previous docks to build the new ones...this included a man in full snorkel gear. However it wasn't complete yet so they had to help lift us down about 4 ft. to the wood planks that took us to dry ground. This required a bit of balance beam skills. NO ONE fell in thank goodness. We just used our airplane arms for balance. This is a village of artists co-op's. There are painters and weavers. The weavers in San Juan use natural dyes that they make themselves. At one of these shops the ladies showed us how they make a blue color from bugs and they were also demonstrating backstrap weaving for us.
There is virtually no tourism in Guatemala and particularly in this village. They were so happy to see us and everyone in the group did their part to boost the economy in San Juan. Many paintings and textiles were purchased including a surprise for me from my friend Kay who purchased me the most beautiful painting of a maya woman. It is already on my wall. Also Gladys was able to handout some glasses to some of the women to help them see to thread needles and do other close work.
One other thing you will see in the Picasa pictures of our trip is a water filter system on the wall of one of the co-op's we are interested in installing in the preschools to produce clean water for the school and to be able to sell the extra to help support the school.
Then back to the docks we went....remember the 4 ft. drop ?....well I was the first to approach it and the men were encouraging me that they would get me up and up they did by me standing on their knees and with all dignity lost I finally made it. In this picture of Dave you can see how much higher I am than him. Our launcha driver saw what was going on and brought the boat ladder so several had it a bit easier.
About two thirds of the way back the boat died and of course it was raining steadily. After several attempts to get it started I called Sharon and she contacted the tour company and they sent another boat out to help us. It turns out we ran out of gas. DUH!!! The driver was about to syphon gas into the tank...with the motor running...until there was a great outcry of protest by those who, thank goodness, have some safety sense. Long story shot we got it started and arrived back to Pana a little later than expected and a little worse for ware but in one piece.
Lunch and drinks were seriously called for at this point. I have to say I have an amazing group. They hung in there and just went with the flow. My stress level was a little high only because I feel responsible for the group. After all I'm the one that said what a great time they would have!!! EGADSS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment