Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Day 3 of G of G Dec. 2014

Tis' the windy season here in Guatemala, which of course makes the lake a bit rough, so we had to make a change of plans…..bigger boat. Worked wonderful to have the bigger boat since the rough water doesn't effect it like the small launchas. The other plus side is that it is way more fun. This is the day we go to San Juan la Laguna to visit the women's co-ops. All the dyes are natural and everything is hand made. So many beautiful things to see and purchase. First Francesca demonstrates the dying process and today she used a wood that is indigenous to Guatemala to turn the cotton thread purple… my favorite color. We are then shown how the thread is wound on an apparatus to create the warp and weft. It is then backstrap woven, meaning the weaver becomes part of the loom. If they work 10 hrs. a day they can complete one scarf in 4 days. This never ceases to amaze me when I realize I only paid $20 for a scarf. During the day my very talented friend Kim made a quick water color of the lake view. These co-ops are a way for these talented women to make a fair trade sale. Out of each item purchased the weaver receives 90% of the sale. The remainder is used to run the co-op. There are so many beautiful handmade items and wonderful artists in this village. One of my favorite artists is in San Juan and I have two of his paintings that I love. Ones a nude and made my housekeeper giggle when she saw it the first time. For those more sensitive people, if it helps it is the backside!! After much shopping and bargaining we headed back to Pana to have lunch at the new Panajachel Center where the owner Aimee makes, among many wonderful dishes, coconut incrusted fried avocado. A must have. Then the end to a perfect day….there was a rainbow on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment